According to The American Heart Association, cardiovascular disease remains the leading cause of death in America. February is a time to focus on the importance of heart health and commit to making healthy lifestyle choices to prevent cardiovascular disease.
What steps can you take to improve your heart health?
- Get active. The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity a week. The therapists at MPT can make an individualized heart-healthy exercise program for you.
- Choose a Heart-Healthy Diet. Make sure to eat plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables and limit saturated and trans fats.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can raise the risk of heart disease. There are multiple resources available to help you quit smoking including, The American Lung Association and The American Cancer Society.
- Reduce stress. Developing strategies to manage stress can improve heart health. Stress-reducing activities can include meditation, deep breathing, being active, and talking to friends, family, or a professional counselor.
- Aim for at least 7 hours of good-quality sleep per night. Good quality sleep is vital for healing and well-being. Developing a healthy sleep routine can help you get a good night’s sleep. TeaMPT shares five tips to improve sleep here.
- Schedule and attend regular wellness exams. Work with your doctor to control your cholesterol and blood pressure.
Contact us below to schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our therapists. The therapist will provide an individualized assessment to develop a customized treatment plan to help you attain your goals. We offer in-person visits at our clinics in Riverdale and the Upper West Side, concierge in-home sessions, and virtual visits over telehealth to cater to all of your needs.
We look forward to helping you achieve your wellness goals.
TeaMPT: Rachel, Julie, Christine, Yoshi, Liz, Karen, Mo, Heidi, Kasandra, Miko, Biacca, and Toni